Sunday 21 November 2010

PR in London

Since I had to go to Christie's, South Ken, to advise on a couple of possible Brangwyn works, I decided to catch up with some more Reyntiens, so skipped round to the V&A to see the Piper/Reyntiens Christ between Saints Peter and Paul (located in room 88, sacred silver and stained glass). Smaller than I expected but beautiful jewel like colours. The other work I had hoped to see, Brittany Beach, was, according to the website, in room 222 but such a room does not exist. Anyway, I'm trying to fix up to see all the JP/PR and PR works in store so maybe I'll get to see Brittany Beach at the same time.Thence for lunch with younger son and see his Cuban photos - not quite as exciting as I'd anticipated and he said the food was disappointing, but I'd still love to go there before the Castros pop their clogs.
And then on to St Margaret's next to Westminster Abbey, windows by JP/PR in 1966. 8 triple lancet windows in the south aisle, abstract design and muted colours. I thought it worked exceedingly well.
I would then have returned to the V&A to do some research in the Library but since I was on the slow train (the high speed train fare having risen to a whopping £49.50) I walked along the embankment to Charing Cross and got back to Kent about 6.30.
PS Was amused to note in St James' that an elderly Big Issue seller was attired in smart suit and long black coat and looked just like a city gent!

No comments:

Post a Comment